Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Fort Pierce and Beyond

On May 5, 2020, we were underway for about 6 and 1/2 hours slowly making our way to Fort Pierce Marina. Our goal was to be able to see my sister and brother in law before they headed back to Maryland. We had the choice to get a slip in Fort Pierce or continue on to Vero City Marina, obviously we chose Fort Pierce. When we arrived in Fort Pierce the dock hand was busy fueling 2 other boats 🚤 so we had to get in the slip without assistance (I know whoa is me).  Amazingly, we had no issues, Rob put her right in the slip.  Rob checked us in for a 2 night stay, we were amazed no one was wearing a mask.  Our brother in law was picking us up so I quickly gave the boat a much needed fresh water wash down.  There was so much salt on the boat if you touched anything you turned white.  We packed our bags for a nice 2 night stay in a "real bed" and spending time with family.

Next morning Rob so enjoyed the big king 👑 size bed and spending time with Florian and Brenda, we decided that we would stay a few more days.  So, it didn't make much sense to pay for a slip when we were not going to be there, Rob started contacting different marinas to see if anyone had a mooring ball available.  Luckily Fort Pierce, said no problem we will refund you the second night and the marina across the river had a mooring ball available.  Off we go to the marina to move the boat over to the mooring ball.  First stop fuel dock to fill up and pump out, of course wind is blowing in the opposite direction.  I told the dock hand, I was tying mid cleat he said no problem, but wanted to throw the line at the other end of the dock (we are really busy need to put you at the end).  We successfully tied up, took on about 120 gallons of diesel, and emptied the holding tank 🚽.  By the way no other boat came to the fuel dock.

We ventured across the Indian River to Causeway Cove Marina.  The fun and exciting part was grabbing a ball, no big deal right? Wrong, for me it was a huge deal.  I snagged the line on the first try, got my line through the loop and then realized my line was incorrectly around the railing.  I had to let go of the line and we had to start all over.  Rob circled around and I again snagged on the first try.   I get my line through the loop and pull really hard, ooops, didn't really have it through the loop.  I'm laughing now, but not so funny when it was happening.  I was immediately able to grab the line again and began pulling, I was pulling so hard I was flush against the boat, but I was able to loop my line through. My chest is still sore from the experience.  All secure, we turn everything off, empty the refrigerator, drop the dinghy and ashore we go.  We checked in at the office and booked for a week.

We spent a whole week with my sister, I'm sure she was happy to see us come and even happier to see us leave. Now, my sister and husband were still working during the day as we sat and enjoyed time by the pool.  We checked out a little beach across the highway from the Causeway Cove Marina and drove around Fort Pierce.
Rob's view in the mornings.

Brenda and I relaxing by the pool.


We had most dinners at the house, but we did venture out, one evening we met my great nephew Jett, niece Brianna, and her husband Zach, at Casey's in Vero Beach.  You ordered your food at one window and picked up from another.  We sat at one of the several outside tables to enjoy our to go meal. If you get a chance I recommend the Deluxe Cheeseburger and their fries.  The kids got ice cream 🍦🍦 from Countryside Citrus, it looked yummy.  We went to Waldo's to get a drink before walking on the beach, we were all concerned for Rob, we all know what happened the last time he had a drink at Waldo's. Waldo's had a sign out front entrance only, I guess not everyone paid attention as a couple was leaving through the entrance.  There were no bar stools at the bar and a sign which stated only 15 people allowed in the area at one time, there were clearly well over 20 people.  The guys went to the inside to order the drinks, we were a little uncomfortable with all the people.  For the most part, when we ventured out, people were social distancing and I have to admit that it was pleasant to see people out enjoying themselves.


Casey's Place


We ordered crispy chicken 🍗 sandwiches and ooh lala pate and chicken liver mousse served with grain mustard, jam and baguette pieces for our lunch from Michael's on 7th.  We were also able to order and try pizza's from a new place called The Garage.  I highly recommend both locations.

On Mother's Day I did not get to see my children (the same as many other parents), but I did talk to all of them.  The four of us enjoyed a nice champagne brunch at the house with bagels, fruits, meats and cheeses and of course plenty of champagne.  Brianna invited us all for dinner at her house, we had duck, chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans and carrots everything was delicious.  For dessert she made an amazing browning served with vanilla ice cream.


Brunch

Champagne brunch
Dinner


During the day on Monday we went and did all our provisioning that needed to be done.  It was nice to have a vehicle. We went to a produce stand, grocery shopping, and West Marine.  In the evening Brenda had some quality alone time with her grandson as Rob, Florian, Zach, Bri and I went to Big Shots driving range.  This was the first time both Rob and I played.  We ordered drinks and food and played several 'rounds' of golf.  I even managed to not be last at least once.  We had a fun evening, would definitely do this again.




Tuesday morning, May 12th, Bri and Jett picked us up with all our belongings to take us to the boat. We stopped at the fish market, Day Boat Seafood and bought fresh Yellowfin tuna ($10/lb) and mahi-mahi ($15/lb). What a deal!!! Bri dropped us at the marina and we loaded up the dock cart and then the dinghy.  Hauled everything on board the boat, while I put everything away inside Rob pulled up the dinghy.  We were underway by 11:30.  We waved our goodbyes as we passed their houses.


Passing Zach & Brianna's house.

Passing Brenda and Florian's house.
We spent 5 hours underway and chose to anchor off of Serenity Island.  It looked like a nice little island to dinghy to and set up our chairs and enjoy the sunshine, maybe next time.  We enjoyed a nice dinner of tuna, potatoes and broccoli and enjoyed a nice quiet evening.

Serenity Island 


Sunrise over Serenity Island

Many, many thanks to Florian, Brenda, Zach, Brianna and Jett for everything!! The best hosts and hostesses.  Love you all!


No comments: